Real Estate Newsletter
LATEST DECOR TREND:
Bye-Bye Minimalism! Hello Hollywood Glam!
THE ROARING 20'S SPRING TO LIFE!
After Two Years in Spartan Lockdown,
Sumptuous Surroundings Shine Again!
Minimalism is out. Make way for maximalism. The pendulum has swung, what was old is new again. Top design magazines tell us that glitz and glamour are taking centre stage again, simplicity is giving way to sophistication dripping with gold and silver.
Retro elegance, rich fabrics and opulent details are replacing stark, monochromatic, stripped-down modernism. Luxury in back in style. Roll out the red carpet for the latest décor trend, Hollywood Regency. Think Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Liberace or Marilyn Monroe. Get your glitter on. Here is how to create this glam look:
1. Dramatic Black and White Themes: Use bold patterns, high contrasts, zebra patterns, animal prints, geometric design, milk-white or high-gloss black walls as a backdrop for silver and gold accents, bronze and burnished trim create jewel box rooms,
2.Transitional Style: Mix modern with traditional design. Aristocratic furniture with contemporary flair. Updated, curved Louis XVI chairs, voluptuous tufted sofas, nail head upholstery, plump velvet ottomans, plush, textures, fur throws, classic brass bar carts, mirrored or glass tables. The theme is casual elegance with a romantic feminine vibe.
3. Metallic Accessories: Embellish each room with shiny finishes, gilt sunburst mirrors, ornate gold and silver knickknacks, shag rugs, oriental carpets, white and pink roses in crystal vases, cascading chandeliers, brandy decanters, silver candelabras. The mantra is: More is more.
Right at Home Realty Inc.
DIRECT: 416 252-2221
REAL ESTATE TRENDS
RECORD-BREAKING PRICES CONTINUE:
Sales Volumes Moderating Slightly
Lynn's Crystal Ball
Toronto real estate continues to boom in 2022, although there are some early signs of softening on the horizon. Cheap money and low inventory are fueling skyrocketing real estate prices, but lately, more listings are popping up as Covid restrictions are lifted. .
The average price for all housing types jumped double digits in the first months of 2022, adding hundreds of thousands of dollars to the cost of a typical home, year over year. Detached homes in the GTA are fetching $1.5.-$1.8 Million, up a jaw-dropping 30%, since last year.
Condos are hotter than ever because of relative affordability. Prices are exploding past $1000.per square foot, but sizes are shrinking and the average new condo is a Spartan 650 square feet.
Spiking prices have created a frustrating affordability crisis for purchasers, especially first-time buyers. Incomes have not kept pace with home values. Historically, when prices become out of reach, the market tips and the buying momentum slows. It is like the game of musical chairs. Prices peak and the music stops.
JUNE 2022 UPDATE
Call me Nostradamus. My hunch was spot on! Three successive interest rate hikes along with new Fed anti-speculation taxes have slammed the real estate market .
The latest stats show a dramatic 40% plunge in sales, a 26% jump in inventory and a gradual 9% drop in average prices since January.. Yes, dear reader, there is a palpable shift to a Balanced Market. Our re-hot Toronto market is definitely cooling. Attention Buyers. This might be your long-awaited moment to shine. Carpe Diem, Baby!
FORECAST FOR 2022.
TIPPING POINT COMING?
In the first few months of 2022, prices are still accelerating, but sales volumes have declined noticeably from their peak last year. Blip? Trend? Only time will tell if the current crazy-hot Toronto market is sustainable or if it will deflate like yesterday's party balloon.
My crystal ball has a Covid crack and it is impossible to predict exactly what will happen in 2022. The pandemic has humbled all prognosticators, including me. These are uncertain times.
My hunch is that if interest rates and supply stay low, and the demon virus is tamed, the first half of 2022 will likely continue to favor sellers.
Price-resistance and "buyer fatigue" may eventually trigger a gradual shift in 2022 to a Balanced Market, with stable demand and subdued, single-digit appreciation. Two wild cards on the horizon are another deadly wave of Covid and government intervention to cool the market. Either factor would flatten real estate sales with a thud.
I do not see a catastrophic crash, perhaps, at worst, a trend towards a Goldilocks' market, not too hot, not too cold.
Truth is, dear reader, nobody knows the future. The only thing I can forecast with absolute confidence is that if you are looking for affordability, I see Moose Jaw in your future.
(Written March 2022)
AFFORDABILITY CRISIS CRUSHING BUYERS
Tips for Tackling High Prices:
Survival Strategies in a Hot Seller's Market
OUCH! That is what buyers are saying, along with other X-rated expletives. Slammed by stratospheric prices, smacked by scarce inventory and squeezed by throngs of bully offers, Toronto purchasers are facing a brutal affordability crisis of epic proportions. Take heart, dear reader. Here are some survival strategies:
THINK CONDOS: The average price of a condominium is roughly $800K, about half the cost of most GTA homes at $1.5M. For example, Humber Bay Shores, a booming waterfront community where I live and work, is a penny-pincher’s paradise. You can still find suites in the $500K range. Yes, they are tiny, but that is how you get started up the property ladder. Start small. Finish big.
2. TAP THE ROYAL BANK ON MOM & DAD: On bended-knee, ask your kind parents for an advance in your inheritance. Lenders report this is a growing financing trend, especially among Millennials. Family members are providing gifts or loans for down payments or co-signing mortgages. Keep in close touch with your rich spinster aunt. She might catapult your tycoon plans. Kin-funding might be your best source of seed capital.
3. CREATE A JOINT VENTURE: Form a group, team, or small partnership of co-owners. Pool your money and have an iron-clad JV agreement drawn up by a lawyer. Choose you partners from trusted friend, relatives or colleagues. Shared ownership is an extension of the OPM principal for investing using Other Peoples’ Money. This is how I got started when I was young and broke. I set up real estate syndicates with some 500 women investors. It worked.
4. HUNT FOR BARGAINS: Do your research. Become annoyingly knowledgeable about real estate trends and active listings. Look for motivated sellers like estate sales, corporate transfers, split-ups, bank liquidations and strapped investor They are out there. Always ask why they are selling? Don’t be afraid of fixer-uppers. A quick lipstick reno boosts profits. The key is to add value. The secret of the universe is: buy low, sell high.
5. FIND A WARRIOR REALTOR: Retain a high-voltage realtor, part gladiator, part detective, part activist for the downtrodden. Experience matters. Ask about their own portfolio and property successes. Most importantly, select a local agent who is an expert in your target area. Reach out for advice from rock star realtors. Most are happy to help. Don’t be shy to contact me anytime for informed guidance and free psychotherapy to handle the house-hunting stress. I speak fluent real estate and my middle name is Spartacus.
PONDER THIS DEAR READER. WHAT IF ... ?
Just imagine, if properties continue to increase at the current rate, roughly 17% per annum, the average home in a decade will be $5,000,000. By 2035, one generation from today, homes could reach $10,000.000. This is a housing bomb, ready to explode. See the projected growth chart below. Read it and weep!
STRATEGIES FOR DOWNSIZING
Moving is Easy ... Said Nobody, Ever.
There comes a moment in everyone's life when it is time to move on. In fact, 2022, is perhaps the best time in history to be a seller to capture the momentum of stratospheric prices. So, if you are thinking about downsizing or right-sizing, roll up your sleeves and get ready to leap into the next chapter of your destiny. Ready, set, go!
Transitions are inevitable but stressful. There are so many things to do, so many decisions and a nagging fear of the unknown. A few years back, I studied successful downsizers and wrote a graduate thesis at U. of T. on that subject. Here are four basic strategies which emerged from my interviews.
3. PURGE: Go room, by room and create a master inventory list of all your contents. Realistically evaluate each item and decide what to do with unwanted, unloved and unnecessary items. Do a quick Google search and you will find many all-inclusive services like Max Sold and Red Coats who handle the whole process from start to finish. I recently hired a professional assistant 3 hours, once a week, for 6 months. We systematically removed 103 large bags of clutter. The goal is to free yourself from the tyranny of stuff and dump the junk. The result is a Zen-like nirvana, akin to bliss.
4. PROFESSIONAL HELP: Downsizing, like any major change, can be overwhelming. Moving ranks in the top tier of lifestyle stressors. Reach out to experts and specialists in the field to help ease the trauma. Your downsizing team should include an experienced realtor, home stager, contractor, handyman, and ideally, a personal helper. Many hands make light work.
1. PLAN: Decide where you are going. Research alternative lifestyles: smaller condo, retirement community, country property, offshore haven, move in with family. Start organizing your move months in advance. Create an estimated budget. Set monthly goals. Schedule your weekly workflow, make daily to-do lists,
2. PREPARE YOUR HOME: Refresh each room and improve the exterior curb appeal to appeal to buyers, Sanitize and clean all visible surfaces, Modernize and update kitchen and bathroom deco. Neutralize strong colours, paint walls white, gray or beige. Maximize lighting and space. Minimize personal items and collections. Finalize repairs. Do a cheap and cheerful lipstick renovation of your home before listing.
LYNN'S FEATURED CONDO LISTING
KINGS LANDING,480 Queens Quay
Suite 302 Harbourfront, Toronto
Approx. 1600 sf, Ultra-Modern, Open-Concept, Flexible Floor Plan, Euro Spa Bath, Dream Kitchen, Closets Galore.
Iconic V.I.P. Address, Posh 5-Star Building, by Renowned Architect Arthur Erickson. World-Class Amenities: Pool, Gym, Golf, Spa, Tennis! Pet Friendly, 2 Dogs Allowed!
Rare Opportunity! If you are looking for more space in a superb waterfront building, this is the one!
LYNN'S PAST SALES
Your Leading Waterfront Enthusiast
Harbourfront to Humber Bay
Inspiring View from My Balcony, Lake Shore Blvd. W., Winter Sunlight on the Lake, 2021.
Thinking of Selling? Summary of Costs:
Sellers enjoy hundreds of thousands of dollars of appreciation in the current robust real estate market, but there are significant costs associated with the disposition of property. Here is a summary of estimated expenses:
1. REAL ESTATE COMMISSIONS - Fees are negotiable, depending on the services provided. Typically, full-service fees are 5% + HST, distributed 2.5% to the listing Brokerage and 2.5% to the selling Brokerage. If there is only one Brokerage involved and only one Realtor, the commission is often reduced to 3% or less. All agreements regarding fees must be in writing. Discount brokerages may offer reduced fees for limited listing services .
2. LAWYER FEES - Depending on the complexity of the transactions, legal fees generally range from $750.00 - $2000 plus disbursements. Ask your lawyer for a quotation in advance.
3. H.S.T. - A tax of 13% is charged on real estate commissions and legal fees which is paid back to the government. Sellers who are flipping pre-construction condos may incur HST liabilities. Ask your lawyer for details.
4. PRE-LISTING HOME INSPECTIONS - Professional home inspection reports cost from $400-$700 based on the size of the home and scope of work. A new home survey can cost $700-$5000.
5. STATUS CERTIFICATES - Cost $100-$125, usually paid by the seller and are required in almost all condominium sales.
6. STAGING, REPAIR, CLEANING, DE-CLUTTERING - This is a discretionary expense and will vary from a few hundred dollars to thousands. Get quotes in advance from various providers.
7. ADJUSTMENTS - These are the amounts due on closing that may be in arrears (taxes, condo fees, utilities) and are taken from the sale proceeds. Your lawyer prepares a detailed statement
8. MORTGAGE PENALTIES AND DISCHARGE FEES - These amounts can be significant, especially if you are breaking a closed mortgage. Verify these charges in advance with your lender.
9. MOVING COSTS - Vary considerably depending on services provided, as well as the time and distance involved. Get several flat-rate quotes. There may be security and elevator charges in condo moves.
10. TAXES DUE ON SALE - These include capital gains tax on investment property and taxes for non-resident sellers. These costs are sizeable, sometimes as much as 25% of the price. Consult a tax professional for expert guidance.
At Your Service ... Happy to Help :)
WHAT PEOPLE SAY ABOUT LYNN :
"Lynn Tribbling is in a class by herself. I work with realtors all day long, and no one is as creative and meticulous. She is unique and really understands the psyche of the high-end market. Her knowledge of condominiums is like an encyclopedia and her sense of humour really makes my day!" (Diane Verity, Post Newspaper)
“Lynn Tribbling is a dynamo with the Midas touch." (Vancouver Province Newspaper)
"I owe you a dozen roses, six kisses and a pocketful of thanks for all the real estate advice you gave me. You are a superb teacher and inspiring role model." (Irene Robinson, Investor)
THE LIGHTER SIDE
WEIRD LISTING: FOR SALE- Affordable Fixer-Upper. Backyard Kitchen for Entertaining. Buyer Is Advised to
Leave Fridge Exactly Where it Is.
CLICK ANY BUTTON TO CONTINUE...
Until next time dear friends and clients, stay well, stay safe, keep smiling !
Sales Representative, Right at Home Realty Brokerage
DIRECT: 416 252-2221 OFFICE: 416 383-9525
Thank you for taking time to read this. Hope you found one or two things interesting.
I would love to hear your feedback. Please stay in touch. Click below to send me an email.
But, if you hate these newsletter and do not have time to read them in the future,
I understand. Just click below and your name will vanish from my list.
TO BE REMOVED from the mailing list
(**DISCLAIMER: Not intended to solicit listed properties or buyers under contract. All information is approximate and subject to change. Non-proprietary photos courtesy of Google images.E.& O.E. )
OTHER WEBSITE: www.ltribbling.com